THOSE PEOPLE BEHIND US
It’s the summer of 2017 in Wellington Beach, California, a suburban coastal town increasingly divided by politics, protests, and escalating housing prices—divisions that change the lives of five neighbors as they search for home and community in a neighborhood where no one can agree who belongs.
Real estate agent Lisa Kensington juggles her job, her shopaholic husband, a mother who knows how to push her buttons, and teenagers with ideas of their own. Ray Gorman, a haunted Vietnam vet, cares for his aging mother. Keith Nelson, an ex-con, lives in his car, parked near his parents’ house. Sixteen-year-old Josh Kowalski works through the shock of his father’s abandonment by slamming on a drum set. Jeannette Larsen, an aerobics teacher numbed by horrific tragedy, turns away from her husband and toward reckless behavior. In the end, they all discover that despite their differences, they are more connected than any of them would have imagined.
Preferred Independent Bookstore
Preferred Independent Bookstore
ARC’S available May 2023
GALLEYS available in PDF format or through Book Siren soon.
PUB DATE 10/10/2023
AUDIO BOOK Releases 10/10/2023, Published by Findaway Voices, Narrated by Timothy Little
“Mary Camarillo’s new novel, Those People Behind Us is set in 2017, in Wellington Beach, California, a politically charged time and place, but the citizens of the place – flawed, conflicted, mortal – reminded me of the citizens of another time and place, the characters of Sherwood Anderson’s Winesburg, Ohio. Once you eliminate the modern conveniences, both sets of characters are equally bound together by time and place and the loneliness that is at the center of so many American lives.
These people are peculiarly American, particularly Californian and you won’t forget them because you will recognize them. They share your flaws, your sins, your secrets, your mortality. Camarillo has created what is by now a rarity, fully rounded characters that invoke what Flannery O’Connor called “the mystery of personality.” Or as one of her country women put it, “That just goes to show you what some people would do.”
These characters will stay with you long after you’ve finished the book. Like a Wellington Beach sunburn or some grains of sand in an oyster.”
Lou Matthews, author of Shaky Town and LA Breakdown.
Download Mary Camarillo's Press Kit
Includes author bio and related images.
OTHER ACCOLADES FOR THE LOCKHART WOMEN
- One of the Los Angeles Times Book Club’s “Favorite Literary Escapes of 2021.“
- Hollywood Reporter, July 2021, “Rights Available, New Books With Hollywood Appeal.”
- Named a “2021 Debut You Should Add to Your TBR Pile” by Frolic.
- Listed on “2021Your Summer Bucket List” by Frolic.
- Listed on “2021 Under the Rader Selected June Reads for You” by Frolic.
- Listed on “2021 Most Anticipated 2021 Summer Fiction” by SheReads.
- Named “Best New Book to Read in Summer 2021” by SheKnows.
- Named “Book to Read Based on Shows You Binge Watch” by Women.com.
- Listed on “Frolic’s Under the Rader Books for June 2021.“
- Listed as on of “15 New Books to Read on Vacation” by Brit + Co.